What to see in Fujairah
Some of the essential locations in Fujairah are the following:
- Al Bidya Mosque: This tiny mosque is located around 20 miles to the north of the capital, and claims to be the oldest in the United Arab Emirates. Excavations carried out in the surrounding area have revealed that it has been inhabited for more than 4,000 years. Various ancient objects of importance have been found here.
- Fujairah Fort: Built-in 1670, Fujairah Fort is the oldest in the country. It was for centuries the most important defensive building on the coast, and also the residence of the emirate's rulers. In its surroundings is "Heritage Village", with fully-restored houses showing the traditional way of life.
- Fujairah Museum: Located a few meters from the fort, this exhibition has an excellent collection of objects from the Bronze Age. We especially like the ethnographic section, where you can see scenes depicting how people lived in the past.
- Sheikh Zayed Mosque: The second-largest mosque in the country, after Abu Dhabi's, it has space for 32,000 worshippers and is built on 6 100-high minarets. Unfortunately, non-Muslims can only witness it from outside.
- Al Bithna Fort: Located 8 miles from the city, this fort, despite not being as large as the one in Fujairah, is even more striking, as it is situated in the middle of a beautiful palm grove.
- Al-Hayl Castle: A small castle located in on a remote hilltop. It is advisable to visit only if you accompanied by a local guide.
How to get to Fujairah
Due to the distances and scarce connections between different locations, there are only two realistic options for visiting Fujairah.
- Tour in English: We offer a fantastic English language trip from Dubai which will take you to Al Bidya Mosque and Fujairah Castle This is a comfortable, safe, and convenient way to see the city's essential attractions. You can find more information and make a reservation here.
- Car rental: This is another good option, especially if you love driving as the roads are stunning. Make sure you have GPS. You can rent a vehicle via this link.
How ever you choose to travel to Fujairah, you will pass Masafi, a pretty city hidden in the middle of the desert with a fascinating traditional market. This is a great place for anyone wanting to buy a large rug or some delicious food.